Thanksgiving is full of delicious treats and fantastic feasts. That is why during the holiday season it is vital to keep your oral health in wonderful health. Here at Feldman Dentistry in Washington, DC, we are happy to help keep your smile healthy with tips and tricks this Thanksgiving.
Here are five tips to help you keep great oral health this Thanksgiving:
1. Drink plenty of water: Water essential to our bodies. However, many people do not realize the important effect it has on our oral health. Water flushes out food particles and other acid or bacteria away from your teeth.
2. Eat desserts or sweets with your meal: When you eat, saliva in your mouth cancels out the acids in your mouth. This is important because eating your desserts with your meals will keep your saliva production going, allowing you to consume more of the food rather than having them stick to your teeth.
3. Avoid long-term candy: Candy, sweets, or sticky foods we suck on or chew for long periods of time, will keep food particles in your mouth that can stick to your teeth causing cavities. By avoiding these foods, you can help yourself avoid cavities.
4. Brush your teeth: Most of us know we should brush our teeth daily. However, by brushing your teeth twice a day for at least two minutes each time you brush, you can reduce plaque and bacteria on your teeth, which causes cavities and gum disease.
5. Floss your teeth: Flossing is not always fun for everyone. However, it is essential to your oral health. Flossing cleans where your toothbrush cannot reach. Flossing also removes food and plaque stuck between your teeth, so you can avoid cavities and gum disease.
Remember, it’s never too late to remember your oral habits. If you still have questions, please call us at 202-362-8412. Our team is happy to address any questions or concerns you have pertaining to your oral care this Thanksgiving season.